The GI Lab technician supports the department of Surgical Services in the provision of patient care by the providing assistance during GI procedures in a safe and effective manner under the direction of a Registered Nurse and physician. The GI Lab tech also collaborates with other professional disciplines to ensure safe and effective patient care delivery and the achievement of desired patient outcome while supporting fiscal and quality care goals. Additional responsibilities include but not limited to: management and maintenance of instruments and equipment, specimen collection, advanced knowledge of diagnostic/therapeutic procedures, support to patient flow within department and orientation and training of new personnel. This position requires the ability to be at work and be on time for the assigned shift as well as meet all call requirements.
This position requires the full understanding thru active participation in fulfilling the Saddleback Memorial Medical Center (SMMC) Mission and ABC’s core values. Employee understands and supports the organizations Strategic Plan, Lean Initiatives for Continuous Performance Improvement, Patient Safety, and Patient Centered Care.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of the Job
List of broad job specific functions that employees must be able to do:
1. Demonstrates the ability to safely and competently perform all aspect of GI therapeutic/diagnostic procedures according to hospital standards
2. Contributes to an effective and safe working environment
3. Demonstrates the ability to meet population specific competencies
4. Demonstrates attendance to specific education/training, in-services, staff meetings
5. Demonstrates knowledge of unit specific core measures and national patient safety initiatives
6. Demonstrates the ability to safely and competently provide care in emergency situations
7. Demonstrates the ability to safely and competently use equipment in the delivery of patient care.
8. Demonstrates the ability to support and facilitate efficient/effective change processes
9. Demonstrates patient advocacy and effectively promotes positive patient/family experience while delivering service excellence
10. Addresses the age specific needs of all populations served: adolescent, adult and geriatric
11. Be at work and be on time
12. Follow company policies, procedures and directives
13. Interact in a positive and constructive manner
14. Prioritize and multitask
One year GI Lab Tech experience in acute or outpatient setting preferred. . In lieu of this experience, consideration will be made for staff with strong education and associated experiential background.
Completion of a GI Tech program preferred
ERCP trained/assist preferred
Computer, order entry and word processing experience preferred
GI procedure, including ERCP nursing experience preferred
GI Tech Certification preferred
Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.