General Summary: A non-exempt medical office position responsible for providing direct nursing care in a medical office setting under the direction of a physician, assists medical providers, and maintains a clean and safe environment in accordance with the policies and procedures of the practice.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
1. Adheres to and supports the mission, purpose, philosophy, objectives, policies, and procedures of Tenet Physician Resources.
2. Adheres to the Tenet HIPAA Compliance Plan and the Privacy Standards Confidentiality Agreement.
3. Demonstrates support for the Tenet Corporate Compliance Program by being knowledgeable of compliance responsibilities as expressed in the Code of Conduct; adhering to federal and state laws, rules, regulations, and corporate policies and procedures policies that affect his/her specific job functions/responsibilities; and reporting compliance issues/concerns in a timely and appropriate manner.
4. Assists in the assessment of patient needs and health plan by taking vital signs, history, medication listing, assessing visual acuity and determining chief complaint. Assesses patientsï¿½ physical and mental status.
5. Completes all necessary documentation in the patientï¿½s medical record in accordance with practiceï¿½s charting policy.
6. Prepares equipment and assists physicians with medical treatments, exams and medical procedures
7. Administers prescribed oral medications and gives intramuscular and subcutaneous and intradermal injections. Performs venipunctures, CLIA-Waived and non-CLIA Waived lab testing.
8. Maintains a clean, orderly and safe environment for patients and visitors. This includes cleaning, sterilizing, and storing instruments in accordance with practice policies. Stocks rooms in preparation for the daily work schedule. Takes inventory of medical and exam room supplies.
9. Complies with established personal protective equipment requirements necessary for protection against exposure to blood and other potentially infectious body fluids, chemical disinfectants, radiation, and other hazardous substances.
10. Arranges for specialized consultations and appointments for testing as ordered by the physicians. Notifies appropriate insurance personnel to pre-certify surgeries or tests ordered by the physician or other health care provider, which require pre-certification by the insurance company.
11. Answering office phones, assisting front desk in scheduling appointments and directing calls appropriately.
12. Assists in checking out patients and assists them with referral processing and scheduling process
13. Assist in other functions of the physician practice as needed
Education: High school diploma/GED preferred with completion of an accredited Medical Assisting Program
Certification: Medical Assistant and CPR certification
Experience: Must have a minimum of one year of experience working in a physician office
Other Requirements: None
Equipment Operated: Must be able to operate medical office devices as well as standard office equipment including computers, fax machines, copiers, printers, telephones, calculators, etc.
Work Environment: Position is in a well-lit office environment. Occasional evening and weekend work.
Mental/Physical Requirements: Involves standing, bending, crouching or stooping approximately 75 percent of the day, walking or sitting the remainder, using computers and telephones. Ability to push, pull or lift objects greater than 50 pounds. Must have ability to hear/ascertain heart, breath and bowel sounds. Must be able to visually discern pumps and monitors. Must be able to write legibly.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.